Off The Beaded Track: Blue Forest $ 60

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Blue Forest $ 60


I am definitely keeping one of this for myself!
I have been falling in love madly with Turqoise recently. In fact when I first started out with stones, I hated it. I guess this is a form of 'growing up' in the appreciation of stones and nature. It goes the same for Ruby and Mother-of-Pearl. So YOU are witnessing my growing up! :)

Real Turqoise is quite rare actually. So each time someone gets some Turqoise, it is important to ask whether it is dyed Howlite (plentiful everywhere), or genuine Turqoise. But the best way is to use a cutter to break the stone and see if the inside of the stone is also blue. For an imitation, expect the inside to be white. Or you can tell by the big price difference which sometimes can be as much as 10 times.

Genuine Turqoise is relatively rare, and since ancient times, Egyptians have always considered it to be a Royal jewel. Information about Turqoise over the internet is abundant and interesting. There are different grades of Turqoise, and they come mostly from Amazon and Tibet, with the former ones being better generally.

Over here, I have REAL turqoise :) This is the first time I made a 'proper' piece of Turqoise jewellery. Turqoise has a unique colour, but all along I had little success in matching the right colours to its strong blue. This time round, with the help of some books, I managed to get it right. The picture here does not do much justice to its actual look and colour.

Amethyst, Moss Agate, 2 yellow freshwater pearls and MORE TURQOISE!!! Chain is 14K goldfilled. However, I used a few small dyed howlite beads to add to the shape. They are so few and small that I don't think you can tell. Goes well with grey, white and jeans, even for yellow-undertone skin people like me.