Off The Beaded Track: Coming up (some reflections)...

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Coming up (some reflections)...

I have another month or so before I rest for another few months because I am expected to pop sometime from mid Aug onwards.

I look forward to a long break from work, but dread having to deal with post-natal blues and lack of sleep, especially when I intend to total breastfeed my new son. I am SUPER PRO- breastfeeding. I total-breasfed my girl for 18 months! In fact, I intend to try tandem nursing - breastfeeding 2 kids at the same time (!).

I have a few lovely creations on hand which may be the very last of what I can post up before I disappear. I will try take pictures tomorrow and post them up.

Looking back, I was never able to continuously create in this beading business. I always wonder how the other artists are able to to that. They just post up one creation after another, year after year. But I bet it is very tiring. Very soon, the hobby becomes dull and what is created can be very commercial-looking. Soon, every design looks the same, just a different colour combination each time. I knew it because I was there. There were so many times when beading became frustrating and tiresome.

Each time I took a break, I came back energised and full of new perspectives and ideas. Thank God really, I am lucky that I don't need to rely on selling jewellery to pay for my living expenses, but just to pay off the large amounts spent impulsively on gemstones every week. And I am thankful that my small group of supporters (whoever reading my blog now) are always there to show support of my works by buying them and wearing them.

One of the most important lessons I have learnt is to NEVER condemn materials that we thought to be regret buys at first look. Some of the most popular items that I have ever sold (eg. Hanami, Songbirds and many many more) are comprised of materials that I once had no idea how to incorporate into any design. I waited and waited for the right time to use them, instead of 'getting rid' of them by carelessly making something out of them and pricing them cheaply just to dispose them. So far, it never worked.

Anyway...I wish I will be able to find time to keep up with my hobbies. The latest craze I have, which is totally crazy, is crocheting Hello Kitty dolls and purses (blame it on the strange hormonal changes in my body). I don't know what will come next - cooking? taking up ballet? Or? But I know for sure that I will come back to beading once again with new ideas :)