Off The Beaded Track: My favourite Desserts :p

Sunday, December 18, 2005

My favourite Desserts :p



These are beautiful pictures of what I ate during my stay in Taiwan. It is currently the strawberry season and there are lots of bakeries selling very exquisite-looking pastries with fresh big strawberries on them. I wish I had taken more pics.

The pink, round one is actually strawberry Daifuku (or 草莓大福)and when you bite into it you will be delighted to find fresh whipped cream (or sometimes strawberry musse) surrounding an inner layer of spong cake, and in the middle of everything is a couple of big juicy strawberries! Yummy! :)

You can find this Daifuku thingy in most pastry shops, refrigerated. It is not uncommon to find Kiwi Daifuku or Peach Daifuku. And the packaging is fantastic. That's why I say that Taiwan is very Jap-like in many aspects.

Oh yes when you go Taiwan you must definitely visit the bakeries - wa lao what is Bread Talk compared to the bakeries there!? Whenever I went into one I always couldn't resist the bread and cakes and end up buying kilograms of pastries that can feed an army. They are quite cheap really :)

Then there's this thing that you shouldn't miss - mua chee. I ate tonnes of mua chee there. I am definitely not referring to the one you buy and eat with peanut powder - I think Taiwanese eat much better mua chees. There are even shops selling just mua chees of all sorts. But too bad can;t bring back, cos they need to be refrigerated.