Off The Beaded Track: Church friends

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Church friends

Errr.....specially to Jialing and QL, if you have found out about my pregnancy by reading the blog, please keep it to yourself first!! Please please please!!

Please spare me from the well wishes+advices+looks of shock and disbelief from the aunties in choir. These will come later. And I haven't even broken the news to both Reverends yet.

Somehow I react very strongly and negatively to old wives tales about pregnancy - minimal movement, eat for two, cannot eat pineapple (not that I love pineapple and eat it everyday), cannot do household chores or lift heavy stuff, cannot bathe after delivery....to my horror, pple start treating me like invalids (though with good intentions of course)!! They frown when I told them that swimming and climbing stairs are good for pregnant women.

This doesn't happen among my friends who believe strongly in science and knowledge. Actually if we read up more, we will have a better understanding of how our bodies work, and how the baby developes.

The Western view seems more convincing to me. We would know that exercise is very important for stamina and relief of back pain. My gynae also mentioned that most women in Singapore are over-nourished than under, so no worries when at times we can't swallow anything.

Anyway, so much for my venting of frustration, probably a mood swing (now I can blame it on my hormones) :)