Off The Beaded Track: Hobby # 3 (Not intended for sale)

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hobby # 3 (Not intended for sale)

A month after learning felt art, I picked up the expensive hobby of Silver Clay. Every 50g of clay costs over $100 and once 'cooked', the process is irreversible. I bought the equipments, books, clay and everything and I would say that I became very thrifty after that for quite sometime.

The clay is simply amazing. It looks mud-like but after cooking it over the stove or in the kiln, it becomes 99% silver! (Even purer than 925 silver.)

This was what I made during the workshop.





I made a few more items and gave them away. Should have taken a pic of them first!

This pendant was made by coating a layer of wet clay over a real leaf which I found at the playground.



Ok here comes something that I am VERY PROUD of. Spent over 3 hrs on it.






I just love making rings with leaf motif. Tried a few times and wasted some clay as I was attempting to make very fine rings with tiny shoots, and as the silver is too pure, the rings broke easily. Those that survived could only be worn when you don't intend to use your fingers.

This is another one of my masterpiece.





And a pendant with little silver roses.