Off The Beaded Track: My Little Chun (sigh...being a mum)

Monday, June 01, 2009

My Little Chun (sigh...being a mum)

Today was the first day she attended childcare.

I had earlier thought that it was going to be easy, just like attending Sunday School in church, enjoying the music and toys and the company of little people her own size and age. And it would only be for only 3 hours for a start.

But right now, Laogong and I feel sad and confused about the whole thingy - is it too early? Or should we send her to childcare at all?

I wonder if all parents feel this way on the first day.

Basically the teachers were not able to give each child enough attention. And Chun was sticking to me like anything, in her alien, new, uncomfortable uniform, and wondering why she was there, and why that other kid with brown hair kept pointing to her little moles on her face and saying 'dirty'. During lunch, she was obviously hungry as she was furiously packing spoonfuls of rice into her mouth, but the rice was too hard for her to swallow. In the end, she could only finish half her portion while other kids could finish everything.

I thank God that a precious friend, JL was there for her when I had to be away for the later part. She was what Chun needed - a familiar face. She brought Chun back to her house nearby and played with her. I think that part was most enjoyable for my little girl, the highlight of the day.