Off The Beaded Track: Birth Story 17 Aug

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Birth Story 17 Aug

On Sunday, the three of us went for a good meal at Ding Tai Feng, bought some vain stuff, bought a fabulous book on crochet, and came back home happy and contented. Settled Chunchun to bed and had a good bath.

Then the contractions came at 11pm and got stronger. Thank God it was good timing because Chunchun was sound asleep when we left the house and my mum was on her way to take over. By the time we got to TMC at 12am the contractions were unbearable and I was desperate for pain relief. Wow the gas was magical - it relaxed me and almost made me lose consciousness :) But I had epidural anyway. They found that I was already 7cm dilated. It could be anytime.

At 4am 17 Aug Monday, I was already 10cm dilated but the waterbag had yet to burst. I waited for another 3 hours when my gynae walked in and simply poked the waterbag in one second. Water flowed out and he said, 'ok just push lah' and walked out. I looked around and found myself in a very pathetic environment - only my hubby, a nurse (who's more concerned about trays and equipments and walking around) and myself in the delivery ward. You know, my neighbour in the adjacent delivery ward had ONE WHOLE CHEERLEADING TEAM next to her telling her when to push and encouraging her, while I only had one nurse and a husband.

And so I just pushed as my contractions urged me to do so. It was like very very bad constipation, when the shit got stuck (a very big one) and you just had to get it out, but you used up all the energy, needed to breathe, while the body continued the pushing action. It was super tiring. I don't remember it was this bad the last time I had Chun.

Soon, 5 minutes later, the gynae walked in again, this time in his proper attire. He sat down calmly, and without saying anything, took the forceps and clamp it somewhere (I really have no idea, I thought he just clamped it ON my vaginal because it was very very painful). I was screaming in pain and gave up on pushing. He pulled out the baby's head and then the body and the placenta and the yucky everything-else.

The stitching up was painful. I really think that the epidural was insufficiently administered this time round, as I could feel everything, from contractions to the stitching.

Didi weighed 3.5 kg at birth, Chunchun was 3.2kg. Doc said that he's too big for me, haha. We haven't found a name for him yet. He has thick dark hair, slightly curly, just like his papa. I suspect that he will have big hair when he grows older. I started breastfeeding him about 2 hours after he was delivered. So far, he is getting better and faster at latching on.

Thank God for the ability to conceive and deliver a healthy baby!

P.S: I will continue to post up the pictures I have taken :)